Friday, April 22, 2011

A Word From The Hubs

So, my husband is in the final year of his PhD program at Colorado School of Mines and he recently wrote an essay for a scholarship application. In the essay, he answers what the term, "open communication" means to him. I am so proud of all he has accomplished and how hard he's worked, all the while working at his full-time job and becoming the daddy to our son (and all that comes with having a newborn!). But I was so impressed with this essay, probably because I feel like he embodies everything that he wrote so well. So, I just had to share it. I love his heart and this essay reflects just one of countless other things I love about him:

Open Communication
To know and to be known are two core values that all human beings share. We gain a sense of intrinsic value when we realize that we have something significant to offer others and when those around us deem us competent and valuable within our personal realms of expertise. The vehicle for sharing knowledge is open communication and transparency, which can thrive in an environment where people feel free to be who they are. For communication to be effective, mutual respect and acceptance are imperative. All parties must believe both that they have something to contribute to the conversation, and that they have something to learn from others, unencumbered by the artificial stereotypes that are so easily imposed on them. Active listening, which involves repeating back what is heard and further engaging by asking follow-up questions, is a great way to show respect for an individual’s viewpoint. Another way is to represent personal viewpoints as flexible, rather than rigid, thereby giving others permission to offer alternate or challenging viewpoints. Finally, communication is sustainable when carried out with consistent integrity, honesty and authenticity. If communication is conducted in the above manner it can be both freeing and life-giving. In a corporate setting, effective open communication fosters trust, deepens respect, stirs creativity, unifies coworkers and promotes greater productivity.
In both my personal and student life, I value authenticity deeply. I strive each day to represent myself in an honest light, displaying my strengths and being vulnerable with my shortcomings. I have found that in group settings, leading with weakness can be very freeing for others; when they see that I am someone who excels at some things yet struggles with others, the burden of having to represent themselves in an artificial light is lifted, and they are able to communicate openly without fear of condemnation or judgment. I’ve also learned that it is far easier and more effective to learn from another than it is to learn from a book. I value mentors, friends and mentees, as it is important to learn from those who walk ahead, to share with those who walk beside, and to pass on to those who follow. Practicing authenticity and engaging in successful mentoring relationships both hold effective and open communication at their core.

No comments:

Post a Comment