Thursday, March 10, 2011

Reminiscence

At Stroller Strides on Wednesday, our instructor announced that a local photographer, Sara Lazio of Lazio Images, is holding a contest, in which she's asking people to tell their love story. The winner gets a free couples photo shoot, a way to help rekindle the romance! If you look at her page, you'll see she is super talented, and well, I can count on one hand the number of pictures we have of Tom and I since Ben was born. So, I decided to write up our little love story and enter the contest. It was fun to put the laundry and baby-food making on hold to reminisce a bit about how we fell in love and I thought I'd share it here. Here's how it went:

I met my husband, Tom, online. I NEVER EVER thought that would be my story, but it is and I thank God everyday that it is. I will never forget when I read Tom’s online profile and thought to myself, ‘we have so much in common, a love for the outdoors, soccer, running, red wine, music, and more. If this guy is as amazing in person as he is on paper (or cyber-paper!) then I have something to be excited about.’ Turned out he was everything that he claimed in his profile and so much more. He says he had the same thoughts when he looked at my profile and then met me. We talked for hours on our first date, as we sat out on the roof-top deck of the Funky Buddha that sunny, warm September evening. The connection, chemistry, and love was there from the beginning and has just deepened ever since. For our second date, we drove outside of Nederland to go hiking. When we pulled up to the parking lot, it was snowing like crazy. We took one look at each other and said, “What do we want to do?” And then we simultaneously shrugged our shoulders and said, “Let’s go!” And as a result, we had an incredible adventure that day! A little over a year later we were standing in front of each other, promising to love each other through all circumstances, from the peaks to the valleys, when life is sunny like our first date and stormy like our second. And we committed that no matter the weather life brings, we will continue to say, “Let’s go and let’s go together.” So, here we are nearly 4 years later with a little 8 month old bundle of boy! While our son is the most amazing gift, it’s been a journey to navigate this new dynamic in our family and figure out how to keep each other as a priority amidst the sleepless nights and constant talk of poop! There have of course, been bumps along the way, but there is no one else I’d rather be on this journey with! So, as we head into this next season, Tom & Melissa + kids, no matter the weather, we continue to say, “Let’s go!”

And the timing is fun too, as next weekend we head to Moab for my half marathon. We can't wait to take Ben on the hike up to Delicate Arch, where Tom proposed to me by moonlight! Remembering is a good, good thing!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Sarah. I'm thankful everyday and remembering the story just makes me that much more thankful!

    ReplyDelete