Sunday, November 7, 2010

Wonder-Full


If I had to pick one adjective to describe Ben right now, it would be wonder-full, as in full of wonder. The wonder is found in his beautiful big blue eyes, in the way he gazes at the people around him, locking his eyes with theirs, drinking in the details of each face, emanating unsatiable curiosity. B recently ventured on his first airplane ride. Yes, we went too. As we walked onto the plane, he was wide-eyed, looking at everyone. And of course, everyone was looking at him too, most likely thinking to themselves, "oh, great, a baby. Please oh please don't let him be sitting by me!" Much to our chagrin, he fed and slept at all of the right times. But what surprised us the most, was the fascination and wonder that filled his eyes while he was awake. He swung his little head back and forth, up and down, to catch a glimpse, rather a stare, at each of the people around him. I wonder what he saw when he looked at them. I wonder what he sees when he looks up at me, eyes fixed on my face.

I can't help but think that all too often, I go through my days checking off one to-do item at a time, failing to truly "see" the strangers all around me, or right in front of me, for that matter. And often times, in the check-out lines or at doc appointments, the interaction is "courteous," a formality really. What am I missing when I fail to truly see people, when I don't take the time to really wonder about a person's day, a person's life, what it's like to walk a day in his or her shoes? Sure, I do that with my friends, my family, and my clients. But even then, I can allow silly tasks or thoughts about what to make for dinner, to take precedence and miss really seeing into the heart and soul of the person sitting right in front of me.

People travel to wonder at the height of the mountains, at the huge waves of the seas, at the long course of the rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars, and yet they pass themselves without wondering. ~ Augustine

And I ask myself, when did I stop being wonder-full, when it comes to people? Ben, thanks for teaching me yet another lesson. You are truly wonder-full and wonderful all at once! May I be more mindful and full of wonder when it comes to the people right in front of me!

2 comments:

  1. Such awesome and true insight. Sometimes I leave the grocery store and think "would I even recognize the check out person if I saw them on the news later today?" So many times I rush through life and am blissfully unaware of the people that I run into. Who knows what kind of life they're living? Challenges they're facing?

    Okay and how cute is Ben? i love those big blue eyes! Glad he was a great travel buddy:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI there! I found your blog on Top Baby Blogs and it's lovely! I am your newest follower Nice to meet you!!! You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com
    Have a peek at my all handmade giveaways if you stop by. Everything is gorgeous!

    YOur little man is SO, SO adorable. COngrats!!

    ReplyDelete